Why is Nutrition Important
Many of us know that eating right is important. We should eat our fruits and vegetables, take our multivitamin, eat a balanced meal, watch our sugar, and the list goes on. What you may not know is why these things are important and why nutrition in general is important. In this post I will explain the importance of nutrition, what is included in good nutrition, and a few actions you can take to help you improve in your nutrition. (Please note that I am not a nutrition expert. For professional advice and expertise please see your doctor or a professional nutritionist. This article is just for reference and should not be taken as medical advice.)
Reasons why good nutrition is important?
Good nutrition can lead to lots of benefits to your short term and long term health. One of the benefits to good nutrition is a reduction in disease and health issues. Health issues such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure can be reduced. Eating healthy not only mitigates your risk of disease but it also improves areas of your health. It improves your overall well-being, your energy levels, your ability to fight disease, and your ability to recover from illness or injury.¹ Other benefits of good nutrition include weight management, delaying the onset of ageing and the protection from several chronic diseases including the ones listed above.²
What is involved in good nutrition?
Good nutrition involves eating a balanced diet in several categories. You should eat whole grains such as brown rice and bread. This will provide you with fiber, several vitamins and minerals as well as antioxidants. You should also eat fruits and vegetables to get the minerals and vitamins your body needs. Protein is also an important part of your diet. You can get protein from animal meat, nuts, and legumes. This will help aid in building and repairing muscle tissue. Dairy is another category to have in your diet as it contains calcium, potassium, phosphorus, vitamins A, D, and B12. You should also have some fats and sugars in your diet. Dietary fat is good to help you regulate cholesterol. The best type of sugars for you to have in your diet are natural sugars most commonly found in fruit. With each category you want to make sure you prioritize fresh, whole foods and to have good portions of each.²
How to achieve good nutrition?
There are several ways to achieve good nutrition. Here are a few tips that might help you to achieve your goal of good nutrition.
- Include vegetables and fruit in your diet. Eating these will help you to get the vitamins and minerals your body needs. You can include some vegetables as a side dish, a salad or add some microgreens as a delicious garnish. You can include fruit into your breakfast or as a healthy and delicious desert
- Be balance in what you eat. Eating some junk food is okay, but you will want to watch how much you eat. I know I personally enjoy a soft drink every now and again but I try to not have more than one in a week.
- Talk to a nutritionist. Talking to an expert in nutrition will help you see how to achieve your goals and what your body needs.
Good nutrition is an important aspect in your health journey. It helps you to improve your health and reduces your risk of disease. By eating the right things, having a balanced diet, and seeking expertise, you can be on your way to achieving your health goals.
- “The Importance of Good Nutrition: Tufts Health Plan Medicare Preferred.” The Importance of Good Nutrition | Tufts Health Plan Medicare Preferred, www.tuftsmedicarepreferred.org/healthy-living/expert-knowledge/importance-good-nutrition.
- Health, Active. What Is Good Nutrition and Why Is It Important?, www.activehealth.sg/read/nutrition/what-is-good-nutrition-and-why-is-it-important.